tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Not as Hot as Yesterday

I know it was probably around 90, but yesterday seemed so pleasantly cool in comparison with the last few days. This morning was equally nice. I find myself liking summer again, which is rather rare for me. Our relationship is a bit like Homer Simpson’s relationship with his brain: “All right brain, you don’t like me and I don’t like you. We’ll get through this and I’ll get back to killing you with beer.”

I can’t help but feel that DC is being awfully wussy these days. Unless you just moved here, the sweltering weather shouldn’t really come as a surprise to you. It’s like this every year. It’s hot, it’s sticky, the air’s hard to breathe. But most people have AC, and if you work in an office anything like mine, it’s probably frigid. Most people I know drive or metro to work, so again, they’ve got the AC cocoon. I walk to work, but I’m in the minority there. Imagine living in Europe. It’s hot as hell over there, and they’re definitely not used to it. AC is rare. When I lived in Ireland, most people didn’t even own real summer clothes, because it rarely got warm enough for you to need them. An average summer day was in the 60s and overcast. If it hit 75, everyone moaned and groaned about the heat. They would never make it here.

I’m usually the first to complain about the heat, but this year I’ve decided to embrace summer. Why? Well, there are two reasons. Most of the time, I don’t sweat much. Even pushing myself like crazy at the gym, I barely break a sweat. But walking 40 minutes in this soup makes me sweat plenty, and I’m hoping that a pound or two of water weight will come right off. And this year, I really like my summer wardrobe. Ask me again in August, and I’ll probably be totally sick of it, but right now, I’m actually loving it.

*Yes, I’m always looking for easy weight loss tricks. The other night I was eating some salmon I grilled, and it occurred to me that I might not have cooked it long enough, but I kept eating because I figured food poisoning would guarantee a 5 to 10 pound weight loss. Sadly, nothing happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home