tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Tiara of the Moment

With a blog titled Tiaras Optional, I would be remiss if I did not comment on Queen Elizabeth’s tiara at Tuesday night’s state dinner. Sadly, she wore one of my least favorite tiaras from her large collection. She wears it fairly often, so I’m guessing it’s one of her favorites. I was hoping for the Hannover diamond tiara (the tiara she wore at her wedding), which is a spike tiara (modeled after the Russian kokoshnik, traditional headdress). The one she wore is certainly glittery, and she had lots of other glitter, in her necklace (three strands of big diamonds) and earrings. (I can’t give the name of the tiara, as the fantastic site I used as a reference is no longer available and it’s one of the few British tiaras not mentioned in the fabulous book Tiaras: A History of Splendour, which holds a place of honor on my shelves.) Although the British royal family has probably the largest collection of tiaras of all the royal families, I much prefer the Swedish and Norwegian collections, which have some truly stunning examples.

************************************************

I need your help, readers who read. I would like some book recommendations, as I will be on a business trip later this month, and I’d like to be well stocked with reading material. On my last business trip, I got through 3 or 4 books (there was a lot of downtime), so please recommend anything you think I might like. Unfortunately, I’ve been in one of my not reading phases for the last few months, so I don’t have my normal pile of “stuff to read next.” I go through these phases every once in a while. Normally, I probably read two to five books a month (depending on time and length/difficulty of book), but since the beginning of the year, I’ve read maybe 6 books total. This is worrying me a bit. It might have something to do with the insane amount of TV shows on DVDs that I’ve been watching lately, which has cut into my reading time.

I received about 8 books for Christmas. I’ve read only one of them. I suppose I could bring some of them with me on my trip, but they’re not necessarily the kind of books I want to travel with. The kind of books I’m looking for are lightweight, engrossing, not terribly thought-provoking (do I really want to be awake all night in a hotel room pondering the implications of an airborne toxic event?), and not scary (I don’t want to be awake all night thinking a serial killer is under my bed either). So, if you have any recommendations along those lines, please let me know.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 5/9/07, 1:13 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I'm working through Wire in the Blood right now, which gets knocked out both because it's gory and because I think you've already read it. My other recent (Lunar Park) and upcoming (Rant) leisure reads are also probably more graphic than you'd want, and my current work related book is the Warren Commission Report, which is way too heavy to travel with.

    Atwood's The Tent is now out in paperback--short stories are good for trips because they don't require ongoing engagement.

    I also just reread Miss Pym Disposes which, of course, was awesome.

     
  • At 5/9/07, 5:45 PM, Blogger schadenfreude said…

    Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi (author of my beautiful laundrette) is the best book I've read in a long time and meets all your requirements.

    If you haven't read or seen the movie yet, Notes on a Scandal is an ideal airplane read.

    In the short story line, I'm 1/2 way through re-reading Copotes collected stories. genius, pure genius.

     
  • At 5/10/07, 3:48 AM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    jb: yes, i've read wire in the blood. i can read scary stuff at homes, but there's something about hotel rooms that brings out my serial killer paranoia. rereading some josephine tey would be perfect for a trip. i haven't read miss pym disposes in many years.

    schadenfreude: i've actually been meaning to read notes on a scandal for ages, but i never remember it when i'm looking for something to read. i'll check out buddha of suburbia too.

     
  • At 5/14/07, 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally recommend The Secret House. It was probably one of the coolest books I have ever read... educational and easy to read. Seriously...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home