tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, July 06, 2007

Celebrating in a Different Way

The 4th of July is pretty much my least favorite holiday ever. Not because I hate America. I’m totally down with the whole U.S. of A. thing, and I think fireworks pretty much rock. It’s just that July 4 has been a uniformly shitty day for me. I’ve been almost crushed to death, relationships have imploded, and one ex chose that day to say “I’m really unhappy and it’s all your fault.” So, after many lousy 4th’s, I’ve learned to lay low on the day and not attempt anything major, lest I get food poisoning, or crushed, or dumped.

Yesterday, I celebrated by eating French food* and purchasing this item**:


When I saw it in the soon to be closing Second Story Books in Bethesda (65% off everything!), I did a little dance of glee. Lord Kissington said, “Wow. Show tunes and disco. It’s like Christmas for you.” There was no price tag, but I knew it had to be mine regardless of price. Imagine my delight when I took it to the counter and was told the price was 50 cents. 50 cents, people! I would have paid octuple that amount.

*Before anyone gets all “freedom fries” face about that, may I remind you that they’ve been on our side in all the major wars, and their support was crucial to American success in the Revolutionary War. I think that eating a Croque Monsieur and drinking French wine is a fine way to celebrate freedom and independence. Or to celebrate anything for that matter.
**Apologies for the poor photo. It really doesn't capture the fabuloisty of this item.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home