tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Good and the Bad

The Good

1. The shower was just fine, pretty low key. Most people were able to make it, despite the inclement weather (sadly, my maid of honor was coming down from New York that morning and wasn’t able to make it because of the blizzard). It was very nice to have everyone there and the gifts were lovely.

2. The really good news: I finally have someone to officiate at the wedding. Yes, this one was down to the wire, but it all worked out.

The Bad

1. I’ve been sick for the past couple of days and in and out of work.

2. I am totally swamped at work and need to try to work ahead for the two and a half weeks I’ll be out for the wedding and honeymoon, so being sick pretty much sucks.

3. I think I may have broken my toe this morning. I decided to go into work late since I was still feeling crappy, and I was stumbling around the bathroom, not totally with it yet. I managed to ram my right pinky toe into the wall. It hurt, but I didn’t think that much of it since I do this at least a couple of times a month. It throbbed a bit, but I went back to bed and promptly forgot about it. When I got it, it was a little purple and tender, but didn’t hurt too much as I padded around the apartment barefoot. When I went to put on my shoes, I was overcome by serious waves of pain. So I switched to a less adorable, more sensible pair of shoes. Nope, just as bad. I taped the toe to the one next to it (luckily, we had some tape left over from the unfortunate Boxing Day foot-slicing incident), and I was forced to wear sneakers. To work. I pretty much only wear sneakers to the gym and maybe the occasional punk rock show (but only hipster sneakers in that case). I hobbled out to walk to work and was forced to admit defeat within a block. I took the bus, which made me totally nauseous.

4. The possible consquences of the allegedly broken toe are pretty dire. The wedding is in 3 and a half weeks. Am I going to be limping down the aisle? Am I go to have to (gasp) wear sensible shoes? Also, will the intense pain keep me from my usual exercise routine? Since I can barely walk, I think that might be a yes.

5 Comments:

  • At 2/15/06, 9:18 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    your toe will be fine by the wedding. probably even if it's broken. a bone that small will heal quickly. i've broken several toes myself, and it's not the end of the world although it hurts like the proverbial motherfucker the first few days.

    considering your bad luck with your feet, you might want to consider wearing docs around the apartment. just a thought. steel toes are the new uggs. did i spell that right?

     
  • At 2/15/06, 9:23 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    that's what i am hoping. but i have had bad luck with my feet. this time, the incident didn't even involve beer. i think i just got freaked out about the toe because i was flashing back to how bad it was last time i hurt my foot. and how all my friends lived in places with lots of stairs.

    i used to wear docs all the time. from approximately age 21 to 26. they were the punk rock shoe of choice. sadly, my then boyfriend bought himself a pair of docs (years after i bought them) and then i wasn't allowed to wear them anymore, because he didn't want us to look like twins. soooo glad that relationship is over. and yes, you spelled uggs right. i don't even know you anymore.

     
  • At 2/15/06, 10:01 PM, Blogger Jamy said…

    I broke a toe once--the middle one--yes I was drunk.

    You should see the doc for a couple of reasons:
    1. The break may need to be "reduced" (yanked back into proper alignment--ouch).
    2. They will give you a special shoe to wear to make walking easier--absent that, wear the stiffest soled shoes you have. No heels, obviously.
    3. They can give you pain meds so you can sleep at night.

    They won't give you a splint--they'll do just what you did--tape it to the next toe. The neighbor toe serves as a splint. But do put some cotton wadding in between the toes to keep them from chaffing.

    Wearing slippers should be sufficient to prevent things like this in the future.

    By three weeks you should be sufficiently healed to do whatever you need to do.

    Feel better!

     
  • At 2/15/06, 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You poor thing! At least the shower went well...despite the weather.
    I agree with Jamy...you should probably got the doctor...just in case.

    I hope you feel better. You immune system is probably weak because of the stress of your wedding coming up and everything you have to between now and then. I hope you are getting plenty of sleep. Try to breathe. Everything will be great!

     
  • At 2/15/06, 11:38 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    Etta~

    I used to cheer in college and I broke toes all the time. Sometimes more than one at a time. They heal fairly quickly, just lay off it as much as possible. And maybe do some icing to keep the swelling down.

    If it's not noticeably better in two or three days go to the doctor and get a boot for it. It's this crazy shoe-type thing that really helps keep pressure off of the toe.

    Glad that other things are going well. Goodl uck with the wedding.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home