tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, February 03, 2006

A Silent Reading

Yesterday was kind of a rotten day. Work sucked the soul out of me. A weird man in leather propositioned me on my way home. It took me 20 minutes to locate two poetry books (a sign that I have too many books or at least that they need to be better organized). Then Blogger flaked out on me. So here are my poetry contributions to Reya’s Silent Poetry Reading (I couldn’t narrow it down to just one), a day late. Having to dig through the Collected Poems of Frank O’Hara and William Butler Yeats improved my mood considerably.


Steps by Frank O’Hara

How funny you are today New York
like Ginger Rogers in Swingtime
and St. Bridget’s steeple leaning a little to the left

here I have just jumped out a bed full of V-days
(I got tired of D-days) and blue you there still
accepts me foolish and free
all I want is a room up there
and you in it
and even the traffic halt so thick is a way
for people to rub up against each other
and when their surgical appliances lock
they stay together
for the rest of the day (what a day)
I go by to check a slide and I say
that painting’s not so blue

where’s Lana Turner
she’s out eating
and Garbo’s backstage at the Met
everyone’s taking their coat off
so they can show a rib-cage to the rib-watchers
and the park’s full of dancers with their tights and shoes
in little bags
who are often mistaken for worker-outers at the West Side Y
why not
the Pittsburgg Pirates shout because they won
and in a sense we’re all winning
we’re alive

the apartment was vacated by a gay couple
who moved to the country for fun
they moved a day too soon
even the stabbings are helping the population explosion
though in the wrong country
and all those liars have left the UN
the Seagram Building’s no longer rivalled in interest
not that we need liquor (we just like it)

and the little box is out on the sidewalk
next to the delicatessen
so the old man can sit on it and drink beer
and get knocked off it by his wife later in the day
while the sun is still shining

oh god it’s wonderful
to get out of bed
and drink too much coffee
and smoke too many cigarettes
and love you so much

A Drinking Song by William Butler Yeats

Wine comes in at the mouth
And love comes in at the eye;
That’s all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you, and I sigh.

2 Comments:

  • At 2/3/06, 6:19 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    Well, I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one struggling with blogger last night. So annoying.

     
  • At 2/3/06, 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravo! I really loved both of these poems! Especially the latter. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home