tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I Need to Sleep

I am basically a chronic insomniac. I always have trouble sleeping, and I never feel like I get enough sleep. But things have reached a critical point lately. Ideally, I would like to get 8 hours of sleep a night, but I will happily settle for 7. I never sleep through the night. I wake up least two times a night, I get up to pee, and I stumble back to bed and usually fall right back to sleep, unless one of the many anxiety-provoking thoughts I’ve been having lately pops into my head, in which case, sleep is hopeless. My sleep pattern for the past two weeks has been that I lie awake for a long time once I get into bed (by no later than 11). Then I finally fall asleep, wake up around 3 or 4, fall back to sleep pretty quickly, wake up again around 5, and lie awake until the alarm goes off at 6:45. I’ve made efforts to combat my insomnia over the years. I gave up caffeine two years ago. I’ve tried not drinking (heavy drinking makes a difference in my sleep patterns; moderate drinking makes no difference—I don’t sleep any better sans alcohol, so I can’t see depriving myself of that daily glass or wine or two). I sleep with a face mask and ear plugs to blot out all noise and sound. I work out almost every day in an effort to tire myself out. But the main problem seems to be that I can’t turn off my brain, and that’s what keeps me up at night. Damn overactive brain. And it’s not like I’m solving the problems of the world while I’m lying awake at night. I wish I could be one of those people who can just admit that she is not going to get anymore sleep and gets out of bed and does something productive, like doing my taxes or rearranging my closets. But I am not. I just lie there, ever hopeful that sleep will come.

Two weeks of less than optimal sleep has left me looking a little haggard. I always have dark circles under my eyes (just a hereditary thing and having pale skin makes them more prominent), but they are really dark now and all the concealer in the world can’t hide them. And those tiny lines that normally aren’t so noticeable seem to be more prominent. Unfortunately, I had to get my aforementioned passport photo taken during this sleepless bout. And this is by far the worst photo I have ever taken. I usually look a little younger than my age, but this photo adds at least 10 years. The lighting completely washes me out, that annoying vertical crease on my forehead (don’t people normally have horizontal lines on their foreheads?) is suddenly huge and prominent, my skin looks sallow and greasy, and although I didn’t realize I was doing it when the picture was being snapped, I was doing my Scarlett O’Hara/Vivien Leigh raised eyebrow thing, so I look like I am sneering. (Maybe my mother was right—if I keep making funny faces, my face WILL freeze like that.) The photo didn’t look that bad on the camera display, but it came out truly horrific. I almost asked the guy to take it over, but I just didn’t have the energy. Because, you know, I’m tired.

6 Comments:

  • At 1/25/06, 5:30 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i've never understood insomnia. when i used to have bad anxiety i would sometimes lie awake, unable to sleep. but i would just get up and do something. you're hating it the next day when you're tired, but you're going to be hating it anyway because it's not like you're going to fall asleep just laying there. better to be productive.

    this might sound stupid, but maybe your lack of sleep is bothering you because you're letting it bother you. eight hours of sleep is supposed to be healthy, but most people i know who 'try' to get eight hours are generally miserable because they can't. why not accept you're going to get only five or six, and be happy when you get more? you're analyzing the way you look and obsessing over the effect your sleep is having on you. let it go, see what happens. the more you worry, the less you will sleep.

    i shoot for six hours of sleep a night, although i often settle for five. i get more than six and a half on a weeknight maybe a couple of times a month. and it hasn't hurt me.

    well, except for the whole leukemia/one lung/car accident/irregular heartbeat thing.

     
  • At 1/25/06, 6:17 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    I understand insomnia all too well.

    They say the number one way is just to have a routine. But it sounds like you already have that, so it might be time to see someone about that.

     
  • At 1/25/06, 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ** warning: PG13 comment, may be considered off color**

    Try masturbating - #1 sleep inducer, guaranteed. If that doesn't work you'll have to get drugs. You could try the Fresh Fields kind first, but I'd go straight to prescription. L

     
  • At 1/26/06, 12:01 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I've been a chronic insomniac since 16, and my most recent "works. . .for now" solution is an amaretto and cream about an hour before bed time.

     
  • At 1/26/06, 7:51 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    whoa! girls do that!?

     
  • At 1/26/06, 8:31 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bryc3: yes, maybe the anxiety about not sleeping is making it worse, but i am one of those people who definitely needs 7 hours. there is a huge difference in how i feel the next day.

    bb: the routine doesn't seem to be working, so next stop is the doctor i guess.

    L: i'll take both of those suggestions under advisement.

    jb: i also like this suggestion, especially because it contains alcohol.

    bryc3: no comment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home