tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, January 23, 2006

Weird Things (and Some Good Things)

1. When I left work on Friday night, a man on the street walked toward me and screamed “bitch.” I resisted my first impulse, which was to scream back, “Who the fuck are you calling a bitch.” I supressed that impulse when it occurred to me that an oddly dressed man with a 50-yard stare who was screaming at me for no reason wasn’t someone I really wanted to get into an argument with.

2. About 10 minutes later, I got stuck in an elevator, something I am deathly afraid of. It was only for a minute or two, but it kind of ruined my night.

3. Saturday night was a friend’s wedding. It was really just a reception (family-only ceremony was earlier in the day), so Lord Kissington and I met the Professor and Mary Ann for dinner beforehand at Bistro Français (I pretty much never eat out in Georgetown since it’s not exactly convenient and there are about 8000 restaurants in walking distance of my apartment, but the reception was in Georgetown, forcing me to try something new). If you get there between 5 and 7, they have an early bird special, with a glass of the house wine, an appetizer, an entrée, and dessert for 20 bucks. This was pretty great. Before you make the obvious jokes about early bird specials, I will mention that 80% of the people there at that time were 65 and up. We stood out because of our sparkling youth (ha!) and the fact that we were all in black tie (fancy fancy).

4. At the reception, I saw my father’s oldest friend. He didn’t recognize me. That wouldn’t annoy me so much, except that he and his wife are invited to my wedding, and I had to leave close friends off the list because the guest list was so tight. It seems odd that I have to invite a bunch of people I don’t know and people who don’t even recognize me, and I don’t get to have the people who actually know me there.

5. At least two of the people I would like to invite to the wedding but can’t were at this reception. I felt awful.

6. My adorable black velvet wedge evening shoes with the bows were the most painful things I have ever put on my feet. Most of you probably know the sanitized version of the Snow White fairy tale, but in the original, after the Prince saves Snow White, they invite the wicked stepmother to their wedding and she is forced to put on a pair of iron shoes that have been sitting in the fire so they’re red hot. Then she basically dances herself to death. (The original, non-Disneyfied versions of these tales are tres gory.) That’s how my feet felt by the end of the night.

7. Jesus must have been working miracles at the wedding, because toward the end of the night, they still had plenty of wine, but they had run out of water, so I was *forced* to have another drink.

8. Yesterday, I told my mother that there was one phrase that I did not want to hear from her again until after the wedding. The phrase is “I’ve never heard of that before,” or in a slight variation, “I’ve never heard of such a thing.” This phrase usually comes in response to something involving my wedding, and it’s said in a slightly incredulous tone, as if to indicate, “But why would anyone want to do *that*?” It’s been used in response to the following ideas:

a. the bridesmaids luncheon (not exactly unheard of)

b. sending invitations to the rehearsal dinner (not everyone does this, but I figure it can’t hurt, right?)

c. the maid of honor giving a toast/speech at the reception (she acted like this was crazy. This is really common, isn’t it? At every wedding I’ve been to in recent years, the Best Man and Maid of Honor have given toasts.)

d. not attaching the tiara to my veil (what if I want to ditch the veil at some point during the reception, but keep the tiara on?)

e. and about 15 other things.

I finally got her to admit that she hasn’t been to a wedding in 13 years. I don’t consider myself to be any kind of wedding expert, but seeing as I have actually been to a few in this millennium, I think I might know a thing or two.

9. I got to spend some quality time with my Maid of Honor yesterday, which was really nice.

10. Can anyone explain the phrase “hairdryer treatment” to me? Apparently, this is some sort of Britishism. Used in a sentence: “A close friend said: ‘Sienna went absolutely ballistic when Jude told her Sadie and the kids would be staying with him. She screamed and shouted, giving him the real hairdryer treatment.’” Does it mean she blew hot air all over him? Any explanations would be appreciated.

11. When I was runing a spell/grammar check on this entry, the phrase "Who the fuck are..." came up as being "grammatically incorrect." Word suggested that I change it to "fuck is" or "fucks are."

10 Comments:

  • At 1/23/06, 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You run a spellcheck over your blog entires? Wow...you are dedicated! ha ha I proofread, but if I miss something, I just figure my life isn't perfect...neither is my blog. Oh and I am NEVER grammatically correct. That's just how I roll! hee hee

    Sucks you couldn't invite who you wanted to your wedding. I swear, it seems so stressful.

    Yes, probably not to get into an argument with a crazy man calling random people on the street "bitch". Good call!

     
  • At 1/24/06, 1:58 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    re: your mother's wedding impressions...

    At the last wedding I attended (was involved in), I'm reasonably sure there was a bridesmaid's luncheon, but I am positive there were invitations to the rehearsal dinner and the maid of honor gave a speech (well, actually it was the matron as the maid had a public speaking phobia). You're not off base here.

     
  • At 1/24/06, 2:40 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    chase: i usually compose them in word and then edit and spellcheck them. in my professional life, i'm an editor, so this really comes as second nature to me. (despite all this checking, i STILL make mistakes.) one of my new year's resolutions was to remain serene and not engage crazy people. life is stressful enough.

    i-66: thank you for the validation. i keep trying to explain that just because she hasn't heard of something doesn't mean it's not valid. but it's like banging my head against a brick wall. (sigh)

     
  • At 1/24/06, 3:18 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Etta, I have only been to a few weddings and in one, and I saw a, b, and c. I may have seen d, too, but I didn't examine the tiara/veil combo closely.

    You're normal. Your critics, on the other hand...

     
  • At 1/24/06, 5:34 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    seems sorta silly to have invitations for a rehersal dinner when it's going to be at potbelly. don't you think?

    and i wholeheartedly support the bridesmaids luncheon under two conditions:

    1. baby gets to bring me

    2. two words: five guys

     
  • At 1/24/06, 5:55 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    I will stand up for you - I gave a speech at the reception as the maid of honor at my best friend's wedding. And I rocked. :)

    And seriously, that's the real ending to Snow White? Holy crap!

     
  • At 1/24/06, 7:30 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    A friend of mine from London used to say hairdryer treatment all the time. She explained that it has two different meanings: 1) hairdryers straighten your hair--yelling so loud as to make hair lay flat and 2) when you sit under the drawer its like being under a heating lamp, you're sweating from the uncomforablity and on top of that is so loud that you can't think.

     
  • At 1/24/06, 7:31 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    also, bridesmaids luncheons are a Southern thing. And maid of honor toasts are a relatively new thing but very popular.

     
  • At 1/25/06, 4:41 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    kathryn: thank you. i will just keep telling myself, "i am normal, i am normal."

    bryc3: potbelly, ha! and you're gonna be invited to the rehearsal dinner as baby's date, so i think that's enough for you.

    anonymous midwest girl: right on. maid of honor speeches are the norm these days. and yeah, the original endings of many fairytales are, well, not so kid-friendly.

    bb: thanks for the explanation about the hairdryer treament. i'll file that one away for future use. i spent my formative years below the Mason-Dixon line, so i'm technically southern (although most real southerners don't think of northern virginia as being very southern), so the bridesmaid luncheon is on. and the maid of honor toast seems only fair. the best man has always gotten to give a toast, and the best man and maid of honor play comparable roles in the wedding, so they should both have a chance.

     
  • At 1/26/06, 9:01 PM, Blogger The Boy said…

    I've never been to a wedding where the Maid of Honor does not give a toast...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home