tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, January 20, 2006

The Perfect Picture

My plan for today was to get my new passport photos taken. My passport expires eight days before I leave for my honeymoon. And yes, I should have taken care of this sooner. But if you pay an extra 60 bucks, you can get your new passport rushed to you in two weeks, so I’m still ok. (Normally, I would balk at having to pay the extra fee, but this whole wedding thing has really given me a new perspective about what is an acceptable amount of money to spend. 60 bucks seems like pocket change at this point.)

In any case, I have decided to jettison my plan because my hair looks awful today. I washed my hair this morning and didn’t have time to do anything with it. I am one of those people who looks bad with clean hair. My hair is dry and tends to get frizzy. I only wash it twice a week (any more than that and it’s as dry as a dead tree branch). When my hair is a little dirty, it’s much easier to manage. So I’m going to have to get it good and dirtied up and style it and have my pictures done on Monday.

Why all the fuss? Well, I’ve just had so many bad official pictures over the years and I want this one to be good. I’m normally pretty photogenic, but when it comes to official pics, something falls apart. In my current passport photo, I was having an awful day when I got the picture done, and I have a scared deer in the headlights look. It’s the look a young woman who’s just been arrested at Bangkok International Airport might wear, as she thinks, “But how can this be happening? I’m just a nice girl from Peoria. I don’t do drugs. And I probably shouldn’t have let that Australian guy spend the night in my room and rifle through my luggage, but he was just so hot. I can’t believe this. I feel just like Claire Danes or Kate Beckinsale in that movie whose name I can’t remember.” But this time it’s going to be different. I’m going to have a passport picture that actually resembles me. And it’s going to be hot.

6 Comments:

  • At 1/20/06, 5:36 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i lol'd at the girl from peoria quote.

    being photographed is definitely a skill. a skill i have not/do not/will not possess.

     
  • At 1/20/06, 7:08 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I had a great passport photo taken forever ago at the Ritz Camera near the Banana around Metro Center. Maybe they'd do a good job?

     
  • At 1/20/06, 7:36 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    Well at least you wouldn't be the only one with a crappy official document photo, my military id, passport photo both look awful. Partially because I need freshly washed hair; mine looks only half-good 12 hours later, and abominable if I go more than 24 hours later. If I could go multiple days...sigh.

     
  • At 1/22/06, 4:34 AM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    i have the dry hair problem too. If I wash too much it feels like straw. Four words: Infusium Leave In Conditioner. It really helps.

     
  • At 1/22/06, 5:16 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I haven't updated my driver's license in two addresses because I know I'll never get another pic. that good (it's very sultry--kind of "you don't want to give me a ticket now, do you officer?").

     
  • At 1/23/06, 5:04 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bryc3: i've taken a few good pics of you over the years. you're not totally unphotogenic.

    kathryn: cool, i'll check them out (easy to do since that's about a block from work).

    nicole: i have a long history of crappy ID photos. i have a really big head, which isn't all that noticeable when you see the whole package, but it looks totally ginormous in ID photos.

    bb: that infusium stuff is a lifesaver.

    jb: in a recent issue of elle, they had janice dickinson's tips for getting a good driver's license photo: keep applying makeup while you're in line, wear a halter top that you can untie when they take your picture, and flip your hair upside right before they take it. her picture is totally hot in a really silly way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home