tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, February 27, 2006

Here Comes the Bride

I’m getting married in 12 days. Until recently, the gravity of this hadn’t really hit me. I’ve been living with Lord Kissington for about 3 years; it just seemed like we were putting a legal structure to something that already exists. And I’ve had rather ambivalent feelings about getting married, because I find it fundamentally unjust that only heterosexual couples can get married. But we decided to do it, and I got caught up in the whole planning juggernaut and completely lost sight of the fact that I am marrying an actual person.

Last week, I received a memo at work asking us to update our contact info for HR. I had to put down an emergency contact, so I wrote down Lord Kissington’s info. The last line asked you to identify the contact’s relationship to you, so I wrote “husband as of 3/11.” And then it hit me. I’m going to have a husband. I don’t really feel old enough to have a husband, although technically, I am well within the age range at which most people take a husband (far past it, if you listen to some of my relatives). When I was younger, I thought that married people all lived in the suburbs, ate dinner at 6 p.m., and lived extremely dull lives. And I just don’t see myself doing this. I still feel like a kid so much of the time. When I had my nails done on Saturday, I went with the cool, totally work-inappropriate blood red instead of a sensible pale pink or peach. I still drink too much on the weekends (and, ummh, weekdays). I cling to my fading punk rock cred.

Yet, I can’t ignore the fact that I am getting older. My friends are having babies and being audited (the latter is firm proof that we’re not getting any younger: a teenager can have a baby, but I’ve never heard of a teenager being audited). Now I’m getting married. And I haven’t been a rock show in at least six months. What’s next? Stretch waist pants? A move to some far away suburb because you can get more house for your dollar out there? Buying a minivan? I just can’t fathom it.

5 Comments:

  • At 2/27/06, 6:23 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    Is nail polish color a part of the corporate dress code now? Things have gone too far!

    Next they'll be telling me I can't wear any untucked shirts.

     
  • At 2/27/06, 8:29 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Mom jeans, here you come! :)

     
  • At 2/27/06, 10:02 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    This is what the Supreme Court would call a slippery slope;-)

     
  • At 2/28/06, 7:19 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i-66: there's nothing in the dress code about nail polish, but blood red talons dive a very different impression than a sensible pearly peach.

    k: if you ever see me in mom jeans, please just shoot me.

    miss independent: the slope stops here!

     
  • At 2/28/06, 8:46 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I suspect once the day is over, you'll get used to the terminology VERY quickly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home