tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I Am Not So Cool

1. This weekend was pretty boring. I’ll spare you the blow-by-mind-numbingly-dull-blow description.

2. I spent Saturday afternoon with my mother doing wedding things. My dress is being altered and my cake has been ordered. My mother spent most of the day harassing me for being such a loser bride and not have everything done already. I didn’t really need to hear any of this since, ummh, I know I’m the lamest bride ever. Since Lord Kissington was going to be out at his bachelor party the whole day and night, she suggested that I spend the night at her house, because “you won’t want to deal with drunk people coming into your apartment and waking you up.” Please, I’ll take drunk guys over an evening of belittlement anytime.

3. I went into work for several hours on Sunday. See, I told you it was a boring weekend. Having to work (I am trying to get everything done before I leave for three weeks for the wedding and honeymoon) on the weekend totally blows. I’m still bitter about it, particularly because I was sick all weekend and really just wanted to lie on the couch and not brave the insanely cold weather.

4. Yesterday, we had our blood tests for syphilis. We find out the results tomorrow, and hopefully, by the end of the week, we will have successfully applied for a license (which we then have to wait several days for). Here’s to a syphilis-free 2006!

5. I am so god-damned sick of wearing sneakers. It’s killing me. And because I am wearing sneakers, I’ve been wearing jeans to work for a week now (I will not wear sneakers with a skirt), which isn’t making me feel my most professional. I want my pretty shoes back. And the toe better be in shape—I’ve only got 18 days left.

6. The weekend’s most exciting moment was Saturday night, when I watched Norway’s Kjetil Andre Aamodt defend his 2002 Olympic Gold medal in the Super G (yes, I know, that’s sad). Some girls like Tom Brady or Johnny Damon. Not me. I go for obscure Norwegians every time. (And he is way hotter than he looks in that picture. The wind burn doesn’t really work on anyone.) Aamodt is competing in his fifth Olympics. He has won 8 medals (4 of them gold), which makes him the most decorated Alpine skier ever. He won his first medals at the 1992 Albertville games, when he was just 20. He’s now 34 and apparently still going strong. Yes, I’m a dork. But you knew that already, didn’t you?

7. The ice dancing competition was totally insane. Back in my figure skating days, I used to be a big fan of ice dancing. Yes, I know that it barely qualifies as a sport to most people watching the Olympics, but it’s so fun. Or at least it used to be. Watching the other figure skating events is always nerve-wracking because of the potential for falls, but ice dancing was always the safe event. No one ever fell. That’s changed. The skaters were falling left and right on Sunday night. Yet, even with all the falls, all I could think about was the utter hideousness of the costumes. Several competitors were wearing headbands around their foreheads in the style of a Loverboy video. Really, this is a look that should have remained in 1984.

8. I have come to the realization that I am not going to do any reading before the wedding. I haven’t finished a book in over a month. I’ve barely even started any. My brain has lately turned to much, and all I can manage is US Weekly. I’ll be bringing a stack of books with me to Spain. Yes, Lord Kissington has a hot honeymoon to look forward to.

9. Is everybody coming to the blogger happy hour tomorrow night?

7 Comments:

  • At 2/22/06, 5:06 AM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    blogger happy hour?

     
  • At 2/22/06, 1:38 PM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    Oh yes, I will be there tonight for sure.

    I hope you can make it. I have a feeling it's going to be quite the crowd.

     
  • At 2/22/06, 3:03 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I'll be there! Looking forward to seeing you.

     
  • At 2/22/06, 3:06 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    miss abra: i've added a link with more details. it's at lucky bar this evening.

    sharkbait: i'll be there!

     
  • At 2/23/06, 3:30 PM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    It was so nice to meet you last night!!!!

    Thanks for your kind words, and I am so glad you came up to me and said hello!

     
  • At 2/23/06, 6:14 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    Sorry, I couldn't make it last night. I really needed to study for some classwork.

    When is the next one of these little shindigs?

     
  • At 2/23/06, 10:09 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    sharkbait: it was very nice to meet you. i'm so sorry about your aunt.

    miss abra: the happy hours are usually a monthly affair so i'm sure there will be one in march. more details to follow. they are a good time, although i have to admit that i was pretty lame last night.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home